Posted by admin
Importance of Special Education for children with Special Needs
Children, with learning disabilities are often neglected and looked down upon by the society. They often receive negative feedback from schools and hence refuse to develop positive cognitions to the outside world. This is very wrong. As humans, it is but their basic right to an equal opportunity of receiving education.
Special education therefore basically refers to “educational programs and practices designed for students- who are handicapped or gifted, with mental, physical or emotional disabilities and hence require special teaching approaches, equipment or care within or outside a regular classroom.”
In addition to their school system, special education classes for these children are a necessity. Such kind of special education should give priority, to the enjoyment of education by special children. Like other children, special children, too have the right to receive proper education that helps them to grow and enjoy without fearing it.
Disabilities may be mental, physical, emotional and developmental. So, within its range special needs, includes a number of impairments, some of which are:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Speech and Language Impairment
- Multiple Disabilities
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Visual Impairment (including blindness)
- Hearing Impairment
- Developmental Delay
- Emotional Disturbance
- Specific Learning Disability
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairments
- Developmental delay
- Intellectual Disability
It is therefore not easy for children with any kind of disability, to keep at pace with the learning process of children, who do not have special needs. They have the right to live a fulfilling life, exploring its fullest potential. Special Education should therefore focus on designing a structure of education that can overpower the disadvantages related to these disabilities, and help children in getting quality education.
Thus, an educator in the field of special education, educating children with special needs must have certain classroom rules that she/he must religiously follow.
- First, instructions should be structured to meet, the unique requirements of the students. The flow of Instructions may be slower or faster in accordance to their needs. Class sizes should be smaller, so that each student is given individual attention. This gives the children, not only time to process information but also to reciprocate as well.
- A Special needs classroom should have educators, who are ready to give their determined effort to educate a student. A child may need repeated trials and opportunities before they finally understand a concept. An educator of children with special needs should therefore work relentlessly until the child has understood any concept that is being taught.
- Unique aids and tools should be used, to teach a student with special needs. Often aids used to teach students without special needs, does not work for those with special needs. Thus, educators have to come with ideas and propositions that meet their unique requirements. A methodology of trial and error should be adopted. If one tool does not work, it should be done away with and another tool that is more apt should be used in its place. All this should be done with a lot of patience because frustration has no place here.
- Tolerance in the classroom finally, is one of the most important mantras in any special needs classroom. Like it’s been said, frustration in a special education classroom is a big No-No. Further, positive feedback with regard to a student’s behavior is significant. A child with special needs should always be encouraged for good behavior and guided for the wrong ones. Negative feedback may discourage and this in-turn affects their cognitive capabilities.
A Special Educator therefore has to have the following qualities: Organized; Patient; Intuitive; Creative; Detail oriented; Hard-working; Optimistic; Adaptable; Good sense of humor; A love for children; A love for teaching.
Not everybody can teach a child with exceptional and special needs. At this juncture a special needs education course becomes necessary. As an educator, such special education courses help you to receive an in-depth understanding of the psyche and behavioral patterns of children with special needs and thereby you will be able to carry out the teaching process in a more eased out manner. So being extensively trained, before becoming a special needs teacher, is very important.
Let’s look at some of the ways, in which you, as a trained teacher, can help a child, with learning and exceptional issues, to overcome their disability and take equal part in the learning process as would a child with no special issues. The four basic ways that you as a teacher can help your student with special needs, are;
- Firstly once you start teaching a child with learning needs, you will be able to observe and hence understand her/ his needs more clearly and this will help in easing out the child’s learning procedure. A teacher in the field of special education therefore is pivotal for the advancement of the learning needs of students with special needs.
- Secondly, for a long time kids with special needs just “got by”; that is somehow survived. However, the 21st century should have no place for that. A dedicated, resourceful, inventive and determined 21st century special education teacher, by helping these kids out, should ensure that they thrive individually.
- Thirdly kids with special needs have always been relegated to their lot. However that doesn’t have to be the case when students with special needs have good special educators. Determined and good special educator can ensure that students with special needs can achieve excellence irrespective of their disabilities.
- Lastly and most importantly, the most fulfilling part of being a special education teacher is that when you are able to make a lasting impression on your student. It is very critical, when you are a special educator, because not only students are inspired by you in their academic pursuits but also inspired by you as whole. Giving kids hope and encouraging them to reach beyond themselves and achieve whatever they thought was impossible is the biggest reward that you as a teacher can ever give them.
So as we see, dedicated special educators, can really provide with a platform to these children with special needs and address their learning issues and help them succeed in life. For this purpose opting for a special needs education course is necessary. Now you as teacher may be wondering, why?
The aim of special education courses are that they train you without any gap and make you all ready
for the venture of effectively teaching children with special needs. Be it any kind of teacher, especially so as a special education teacher, training yourself before you assume the responsibilities of the job is very important.
Having a disability of any kind should never stop anybody from conquering the world. That is, both children and adults, having special needs should be given every opportunity, without any stigma being attached to it. Children with special needs should be dealt with, in accordance to their requirements, so that despite their disabilities, they are able to clearly develop their cognitive abilities. Developing a broader education system and with educators who have specialized training is an urgent requirement. Learning should be a fun and an adventurous activity for both children with and without special needs.