Posted by Tom Karren
Early Childhood – Its Impacts and Characteristics
Early childhood is a distinctive period in the life span of a human being. For many parents and teachers, it might become a bit difficult for them to handle children.Parents, as well as teachers,try to focus on the children’s physical care. In this period behavior problems become more frequent and in most of the times, they are troublesome.The aspects of behavior in relation to their physical and mental growth is discussed in the early childhood care education course that is being provided by teaches training institutes worldwide.
As behavior problems dominate in early childhood, children develop individual personalities and seek independence from adult supervision and hierarchy. On several occasions, one can see that they seem to reject the help offered by elders. In this period children play with toys most of the time and entering school they engage themselves in games and other activities designed by the school teacher.
Some Characteristics of the Early Childhood Period
- In this stage, children are looking to explore life in a variety of ways. They spend most of their times in the environment around them and want to know how it works, the causes for several natural ongoing processes and how they can be a part of it.
- This is an imitative age where imitations of speech and actions of others influence and impact children largely.This nature develops creative talents.
- In this age, you will find that most children are very talkative. The reason for this is that after they develop the basic skills of communication, they speak with ease and this influences them to communicate with other children.However, there are other children also who are not that much talkative and some are also silent. There are several reasons for these which you can learn by taking up the early childhood care education course from a training center.
- In this period various skills are developed by repeated trials and different attempts of completing goals. With proper training, children learn easily and quickly.
- Improvement in speech and comprehension is developed in this age. Teachers will help in developing vocabulary skills and mastering pronunciation.Children learn to form sentences by combining words.
- Moral development is on a slow level in the elementary period. The reason is due to the fact that intellectual development has yet not reached the point a child can learn or apply the abstract principles of right and wrong in their daily lives.
Children learn how to act in specific situations from their parents and their teachers without knowing why they do so. Since this is a learning stage,children may forget what they have learned in the classroom and this includes topics related to behavior and discipline. This is somewhat natural and the early childhood care education course discusses these topics in details.
Children obey rules without using much logical reasoning or judgment because they depend on the adults and hold them in high authority. They judge right or wrong in terms of the consequences rather than the motivation working behind them.
- At such a young age (2 to 12 years), the development of consciousness has not yet taken place totally. At many times they do not feel guilty or ashamed if they are caught doing something. But they may get afraid of the fact that they may have to face punishment for what they have done.
- Children in their early childhood period ask a lot of questions since they have a high level of curiosity.They seek answers from their parents or teachers and if they are not satisfied with the answer, they use to raise more and more questions in a chain until they are satisfied. As a teacher, you need to manage them patiently when they are asking a lot of questions. You will learn these by taking up the early childhood care education course from a teachers training institute.
Apart from these characteristics, there are some others too which you will learn from the course. However, when managing children with special needs in the same age group, you will need to acquire knowledge on other topics also.