How you can teach reading skills to small children through multiple ways
Reading can be one of the most magical things in the world.
Being an avid reader means that not only do you have great knowledge, but you will be gaining experiences that without the art of reading can be rendered as impossible.
So reading and avidly so, is a habit that everyone must have. The trick here is to install the habit of reading into children. Children, especially at an early age have better receptive capabilities. If you as a teacher earnestly try to ingrain reading skills into children, be sure that they will not fail you. This is because at that stage, especially children falling within the age group of 2-4years, development takes place at a rapid pace and when you try to install something in your child, be it values or the art of reading, the grasp will be immediate.
Now you might think that teaching reading skills to children are a piece of cake. In reality, however, it is not so easy. Teaching children the right skills and methods of teaching requires serious effort on the part of the teachers. If not done the right way, the child may not grow any interest in reading at all and this could, in turn, become a problem and hinder future development and learning capability of the child. Herein a Language Enrichment Course becomes necessary.
A Language Enrichment Course will help you to understand the language you are using to teach the child better, and you have flawless skills in the language, teaching it to a child becomes easier. A Language Enrichment Course will also train you intensively in the art of teaching students reading, writing and comprehension skills.
There are a number of ways that you can employ to instill reading skills in your student/ child.
- Read to your child/ student – Reading to your child or student is the first stepping stone that you can instill great reading skills in your child. Start reading to your/student from a really young age. Read at a slow pace and with clarity- so that by listening your child can develop an interest and ultimately get used to the habit of reading.
- Asking Questions– So, when you are reading to your child, one great way to make sure if the child is understanding or not is to ask frequent questions. So suppose you are reading out a story, after a paragraph or to make sure to ask questions about what you have read out. If the child answers then well and good and if she doesn’t then you will know that a re-iteration is required. Asking questions, helps the child to comprehend better and also arouses her interest which will inevitably lead to the child growing an avid interest in reading.
- Be an example: No matter how hard you try to instill reading skills in your child, if you as a teacher or a parent don’t practice what you are preaching, your child’s interest will automatically dwindle away. A child always looks up to elders as inspiration, so be sure that you yourself are a voracious reader, and that you can serve as a good reading example to your child.
- Embellish with letters– Children are always fascinated by things that are visually attractive. So as a teacher, you can embellish and design your classroom with large decorative letters. This will attract a child’s attention and prick the adventurous born in her. She will develop an interest in reading more letters and that endeavor can always end up in growing an interest in reading.
- Identifying different genres– Another very interesting way to instill reading skills in children is by reading to them books from different genres. Include all types of books, including fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, songbooks, alphabet books etc. The only reason for this is that the more the variety, the more is the interest and hence the more the child will want to explore the art of reading. Choose a day to read one genre of storybooks and another genre, the alternate day. This not only helps in instilling skills of reading the different type of books, but also the good habit of acquiring knowledge from a wide, variety of sources. This means once the child grows up, she will not confine herself to only a limited amount of knowledge.
- Awareness of Phonemics– “Phonemes” refer to the smallest sounds that exist in the English language. These sounds are made up of long vowels, short vowels, consonants, and diagraphs. Phonemic Awareness” comprises of learning these sounds and also learning to manipulate them within a word. For instance, “Phonics” consists of learning the method of spelling those sounds and the various rules and norms that the English language follows. The rules of phonics and learning to master them are nothing but a tool that helps a child in learning to decode and hence spell.
- Decoding – This is common means “sounding it out.” It is an important constituent in teaching your child/student to read, however it surely isn’t the most vital. Once your child gains knowledge of the sounds that each letter makes, you as a teacher can be sure, that she is all ready to begin arranging words together.
- The concept of “word families”- To convey it in simple words, “Word families” refer to words that have the rhyming characteristic. Teaching your little students, all about word families, is a sort of a “phonemic awareness” activity which helps children to see certain kinds of patterns in reading. This is a vital skill since it enables children to begin the art of reading by a method of grouping a number of letters and forming a word. There are two parts in the word- the first part is referred to as the “onset” and the last part is called the “rime”. Word families actually share the same “rime” as the “onset” keeps on changing. This is a type of knowledge that without a professional course like a Language Enrichment Course in hand, you as a teacher or a parent won’t be able to impart.
Thus there are a number of methods which you can use for the purpose of instilling reading skills into children. However, before you make that effort, make sure your language and reading skills are flawless and that can only be justified by opting for courses like Language Enrichment Course.